What’s with the Easy Wireless free phone a guy offered me outside Dollar Store? Easy Wireless is a cell phone provider here in the US. But unlike the regular carriers like T-Mobile or Verizon, it focuses on the free phone service from the government.
For some of us, the free phone program from the government is nothing new. It has been around since the ‘80s when we only had landlines.
Easy Wireless as the Oldest Free Phone Program
First, we currently have multiple free phone programs from the government: Lifeline (started in 1985) and ACP program (created in 2021).
Easy Wireless is one of the few Lifeline phone providers that have been active for a long time. Officially known as Easy Telephone Services Company, it started operating in 1999, over 24 years ago.
Despite the long period of operations, Easy Wireless is not a name synonymous with many Americans. Most who know it are from the Four-State Area, especially Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri.
The low popularity is not to say Easy Wireless free phone is any bad. It’s just like most Lifeline phone providers, where they have the good and bad side.
Before we proceed further, here’s a quick summary of some features you’ll get or miss on Easy Wireless:
|Unlimited (with cap)
|Free Mexico/ Canada Call
Easy Wireless Free Phone: With Lifeline or ACP Program
Should I get an Easy Wireless free phone with Lifeline or ACP program? As a newbie to the carrier, this is one of the questions you may ask.
Lifeline and ACP are both programs from the government to help low-income individuals connect on calls/ text/ online. However, each program has its pros and cons.
If you opt for the Easy Wireless free phone with the Lifeline program, the monthly allowances and extras are limited. But this shouldn’t surprise you since the program also pays the phone providers little money.
The amount the government pays Easy Wireless and other providers for the Lifeline program is only $9.25. It’s only the families on the federally-recognized tribal lands can enjoy up to $34.25 for the phone subsidy.
On the other hand, users of the Easy Wireless free phone with ACP program get to enjoy a subsidy of $30/ month. If on the tribal lands, you even get to enjoy more service discounts of up to $75/ month.
So, the Easy Wireless free phone with the ACP program has more benefits than the Lifeline program. But it gets best when you combine the Lifeline and ACP bundles.
How to Qualify for Easy Wireless Free Phone with Lifeline and ACP Program
As already mentioned, ACP and Lifeline are both government programs aimed at helping low-income families connect. The means to qualify are the same for the most part.
To get an Easy Wireless free phone with the Lifeline program, you must have:
- A total household income at or below 135% of the current federal poverty guidelines
- Participates in an eligible government assistance benefit. Some of these assistance benefits are:
- Medicaid medical benefit
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans & Veteran’s Survivors Pension Benefit
- Federal Public Housing Assistance Benefit (FPHA)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Besides the regular assistance benefits, you can also qualify for a free Easy Wireless free phone with a tribal-based government program. Some examples include:
- Tribal Head Start benefit
- Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance benefit
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations benefit
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Similarly, you can qualify for an Easy Wireless free phone with the ACP program through low-income or a government assistance benefit.
If you opt to enroll with an assistance benefit, it should be either:
- All assistance benefits eligible for Lifeline (listed above)
- Student’s Pell Grant during the current award year
- Reduced-price and free school lunch program or school breakfast program
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
On the other hand, qualifying for an Easy Wireless free phone on ACP with an income-based requirement requires a low income at or below 200% of the poverty guidelines.
By simple math, the 135% income cap of Lifeline is below the 200% guidelines of ACP. All the assistance benefits required to qualify for Lifeline are also eligible for ACP.
So, a person with a Lifeline phone is automatically eligible for an ACP plan with Easy Wireless. However, a person in the ACP program is not necessarily eligible for the Lifeline. Does this matter?
YES! The Federal Communications Commission, which oversees both Lifeline and ACP programs, has just announced the news we all dreaded.
The bad news is that the Affordable Connectivity program will no longer accept new enrollments after the 7th of February, 2024. All new customers have until 11:59 pm ET on February 7 to apply.
The second part of the bad news is that the FCC estimates the ACP budget will run out in April 2024. Of course, this date is just an estimate, plus various groups are fighting for Congress to keep the program going.
So, when you apply for an Easy Wireless free phone with the ACP program, be prepared. The program may end in April or not.
How to Apply Easy Wireless Free Phone from Government
In a nutshell, Easy Wireless is one of the few Lifeline and ACP providers with multiple ways to apply for a free phone. The various ways include:
Method 1: Apply Easy Wireless Free Phone by Call
The first way you can apply for Easy Wireless free phone is by calling customer support at (877) 476-3451 (toll-free). When you get hold of a live agent, tell her you wish to enroll in their free phone program.
The enrollment agent will ask for your details, including name, date of birth, social security (last numbers), and home address.
Furthermore, the Easy Wireless agent will need to know which government assistance benefit you have. If none, she’ll ask about details of your income.
Once you provide everything needed, the enrollment agent will start processing your order for the Easy phone. Then, ship to the physical address you’ve just given.
Method 2: Apply Easy Wireless Free Phone by Live Chat
The process to apply for a free phone from Easy Wireless by live chat is much like calling the customer care number. The only difference is that here you’re communicating with the enrollment agent online. Thus, MUST have an internet-enabled phone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer.
Once with an online device, you only need to visit myeasywireless.com. Then, tap or click the “Live Chat” button appearing in the lower right corner and initiate the chat.
Alternatively, you can initiate an online chat with an Easy Wireless enrollment agent through email. Just go to the Contact Us page and write your message under the “Email Us A Question” section. Then, hit the bold “Send Email” button.
Method 3: Apply Easy Wireless Free Phone in Person
The fastest way you can get an Easy Wireless free phone is to apply in person. Easy Wireless is one of the Lifeline providers with physical stores you can visit for assistance.
At this time, there is a total of 50 Easy Wireless retail stores to visit. However, the retail stores are only in the states of Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.
In the states without dedicated stores, Easy Wireless often has agents camping in the streets. The agents like to camp where many diverse people are passing. An example is outside community centers, malls, plus retail giants like Walmart and Dollar Stores.
When you apply for the Easy phone at a local store or tent, the agent will just need your personal information and eligibility means. The assisting agent will verify the information with the National Verifier (USAC system that approves Lifeline and ACP eligibility).
If proven eligible for Lifeline or ACP, the Easy Wireless agent will give you a free phone service (and smartphone) instantly. You’ll not have to wait as with the other enrollment methods.
Method 4: Apply Easy Wireless Free Phone Online
Now, the most convenient way to apply Easy Wireless free phone is online. It’s the most convenient as you can apply all on your own, from any location, and at any time of the day.
To apply for the Easy Wireless phone online, you only need to:
- Grab an internet-enabled device and visit the Easy Wireless sign-up page
- Enter your email and area ZIP code in the appropriate spaces. Then, hit the bold “Enroll Now” button
- If Easy Wireless is available in your area, you’ll get a prompt to choose a free phone plan. Many places only have the “free Unlimited Data Promo”. But few also have the option of “Lifeline Only Plan”, “ACP Free Wireless Plan”, and “Lifeline & ACP Combined Plan”.
- When you decide which plan to get, hit the “Continue with this Plan” button. Then, Start the Application by selecting the eligibility requirement you wish to use to apply.
- Next, fill in your name, date of birth, social security number (last digits), plus residence address and city. Then, agree to the consent and click the “Next” button.
- If the address provided is eligible for Easy Wireless, you’ll get a prompt to confirm it. So, click “OK” that pops.
- At this point, you’ll now get a prompt to confirm the disclosure agreement. Read it through and Agree or Decline the consent prompts shown. Then, create a PIN that you’ll be using to access your account online and hit “I Accept”
- The “Accept” button you’ve just clicked is the last step for Easy Wireless to pre-approve you for the free phone program. You can click the “Preview Application” to confirm your details. But if everything is correct, wait for the timeout to redirect you to the National Verifier.
National Verifier ID for Your Free Phone
If you remember, the National Verifier is the system that determines if one is eligible for the Lifeline or ACP program. Hence, why Easy Wireless redirects you to this system after pre-approving you on their end.
Meanwhile, the National Verifier will put your details through various checks to determine your eligibility. They start by running you through an identity check. If unable to trace your details, you’ll get a prompt for proof of identity.
Second, the National Verifier will run an eligibility check through the assistance benefits database. If unable to find you again, the system will ask for proof of eligibility.
Once National Verifier has everything and approves you, they will provide a unique ID number. Then, you can call Easy Wireless at 888-792-0076 and give them this National Verifier ID (usually starts with Q or a B).
Easy Wireless will start processing your order, either of a free phone or SIM kit. Then, they will ship it to your address.
At the time of writing, the kind of free phone Easy Wireless gives you is BLU C6L or a Sky Devices Elite F55.
Key Takeaway: What You Get with Easy Wireless Free Phone Plans
|Lifeline & ACP Combined Plan
|ACP Free Wireless Plan
|Lifeline Only (Base) Plan
|Free SIM Card
|Free Talk Minutes
|Free Text Messages
|Free Mobile Data
|Unlimited (7-10GB of high speed)
|Unlimited (5GB of high speed)
|Keep Your Own Phone
Common Related Questions
How fast does Easy Wireless ship my free phone?
When you apply for the Easy Wireless free phone in person at authorized stores or tent camps, you often get it instantly.
If you apply by calling customer service, through live chat, or online, Easy Wireless can take up to ten (10) business days to ship the free phone or SIM kit.
What type of document can I use as proof of eligibility?
When applying Easy Wireless free phone with Lifeline or ACP, you must have a National Verifier application ID to qualify. If you’re a new customer without this ID, you must have documents to prove your identity, eligibility, and physical address.
- Proof of identity: A valid ID card, birth certificate, passport, driver’s license, and Green card.
- Proof of physical address: Utility bill, lease or mortgage statement, valid driver’s license, and tax return.
- Proof of Eligibility: tax return, paycheck stub, or statement of social security benefits/ Veterans benefits/ pension/ worker’s compensation/ divorce decree/ child support award.
Can I get an Easy Wireless free phone with both Lifeline and ACP?
You can get an Easy Wireless free phone plan per month and a one-time smartphone with ACP and Lifeline combo plan. The ACP-only plan also has a free phone service and smartphone. But the Lifeline-only plan has just a free monthly plan.
What will happen to my Easy Wireless free phone plan when ACP ends?
Unfortunately, the FCC estimates the ACP funds will finish sometime in 2024. If Congress fails to extend the program anymore, those on Easy Wireless free phones with ACP get downgraded to Lifeline.
If ineligible for the Lifeline program, Easy Wireless cancels your free service.