Are you a true patriot? Well, that’s one of the core values of Patriot Mobile while providing its phone service. But then, is the service any good? And if yes, what phones work with Patriot Mobile in case you wanted to bring your own?
In this review, we’re going to have a brief scope of Patriot Mobile. The company no doubt isn’t the most famous- you probably are learning about them now. But other than fighting for our values, it does have some compelling phone perks.
One of these perks is the freedom to bring your own device to their network. Hence, the reason I’ve thought it’d be nice to look at these supported phones as not all will work on the service.
But before we come that…
Things You Need To Know About Patriot Mobile
First up, Patriot Mobile doesn’t have its own cellular tower. It’s a mobile virtual network operator (or MVNO) that’s now using T-Mobile infrastructure, just like Ultra Mobile and Mint Mobile.
Even so, the prepaid carrier used to resell the Sprint network before it merged with T-Mobile in early 2020. So, some old Patriot members may still be on the Sprint spectrum, albeit T-Mobile has scheduled to shut it down by June 30, 2022.
As a reseller of the T-Mobile network, Patriot Mobile has access to some features of the GSM carrier, including nationwide coverage.
Other things you might need to know about Patriot Mobile are:
- Budget-friendly plans:
Patriot Mobile has a wide range of rate plans, which starts from as low as $25/ month, plus a $3 – $11 discount with multiple lines
- 12 Months of Free Service
Patriot Mobile has an around-the-clock referral program, whereby you can receive a $10 discount on service bills for the next twelve months. If you refer up to five people in that one month, you can get up to $50 bill credit, which is enough for a free 10GB plan service for a whole year.
- Mobile Phone Financing:
There’s a retail department at Patriot Mobile, where you can order your desired flip phone or smartphone. Also, you can pay for your desired device upfront or through buy now pay later financing with Klarna.
Similar to Verizon and AT&T, T-Mobile will always prioritize its immediate customers over the MVNOs when the network’s busy. So, you can expect deprioritization at times when subscribing to Patriot Mobile.
- 5G Data Speeds
Personally, I’m yet to test Patriot Mobile here in CA. But in our previous T-Mobile vs Verizon data speed review, we saw the GSM carrier offers between 100-560+Mbps upload speed on a 5G network. So, theoretically, you can expect closer or similar browsing speeds with Patriot Mobile on peak days.
- No “Truly” Unlimited
Last but not least, Patriot’s unlimited plans include 22GB (on Patriot Freedom) and 40GB (Patriot Liberty) premium data. Then, slower but unlimited data speeds thereafter.
What Phones Work With Patriot Mobile
As I mentioned in the beginning, Patriot Mobile does allow you to bring your phone to its network. You just have to make sure the device will be compatible with the network and cellular technology.
In the cellular part, T-Mobile, which is a carrier for patriot mobile, utilizes GSM technology. So, the four types of phones that can work with Patriot Mobile include
- Factory Unlocked Cell Phones
In simple words, these are the unlocked cell phones that you purchase directly from the manufacturer. They usually come pre-unlocked and ready to use, thereby you’ll just need to insert your SIM card and start making calls.
- T-Mobile Branded Cell Phones
Usually, phones from the main carriers are compatible with their service and that of their MVNOs. So, you should be able to use a device locked to T-Mobile with Patriot Mobile with no issue.
- Carrier Unlocked Cell Phones
Carrier-locked phones are those devices that you purchase from a network provider. And once you unlock them, they should be compatible with other networks on the same cellular technology.
If it’s Patriot Mobile, the service uses GSM channels through the T-Mobile network. So, you should be able to activate your SIM card on the phones compatible with Simple Mobile and other MVNOs of T-Mobile.
Moreover, AT&T and its MVNOs are also GSM networks, thereby their phones can work with Patriot Mobile after unlocking.
- Patriot Branded Cell Phones
Apart from Pure Talk, all the other phone carriers I’m aware of usually sell phones locked to their network. If it’s Patriot Mobile, its branded device will naturally work with your SIM card with no issues. But you’ll have to wait for the service provider to remove the network restrictions before you can use the device with the others, including T-Mobile.
Another thing, Patriot isn’t one of the companies that give free phones when you switch to their network. So, you’ll have to purchase your devices upfront or finance through a short-term contract.
It’s worth noting a phone isn’t guaranteed to work with Patriot Mobile just because it’s GSM and unlocked. The device should also have the right T-Mobile frequency bands, specifically the main band 71*, 12*, or 4*. Otherwise, you won’t get a signal even if it has any of the secondary bands (2/ 5/ 66).
The 10 Best cell Phones Compatible with Patriot Mobile
Here’s a highlight of the various phones that you can bring when joining or upgrading with Patriot Mobile service.
|Cell Phone Brand||Type||Supported Networks||Storage vs RAM|
|Factory Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S21||Factory Unlocked||5G & 4G LTE||128GB, 6GB|
|T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 9||T-Mobile branded||4G LTE||128GB, 6GB|
|Cricket Unlocked Alcatel QUICKFLIP||Carrier Unlocked||4G LTE||4GB, 512MB|
|Apple iPhone 13 128GB Dual-Camera||Patriot Mobile branded||5G & 4G LTE||128GB, 4GB|
|Unlocked Google Pixel 4a w/ 5G||Factory Unlocked||5G & 4G LTE||128GB, 6GB|
|GSM Unlocked Motorola One Fusion||Factory Unlocked||4G LTE||128GB, 4GB|
|Factory Unlocked Huawei Y9 Prime||Factory Unlocked||4G LTE||128GB, 4GB|
|GSM Unlocked LG V35 ThinQ||Carrier Unlocked||4G LTE||64GB, 6GB|
|Fully Unlocked Apple iPhone 12||Factory Unlocked||5G & 4G LTE||128GB, 4GB|
|Unlocked Apple iPhone 11 Pro 64GB||Factory Unlocked||4G LTE||64GB, 4GB|
- It comes fully unlocked
- Has 6.4”, 120Hz display
- Supports up to 5G connections
- Has 128G storage & 6GB RAM
- Includes built-in NFC technology
- Features Snapdragon 888 processor
- Captures Videos up to 4K@60fps quality
- It supports fast & reverse wireless charging
- It’s a branded T-Mobile device
- Has a 6.4” Super AMOLED display
- Includes IP68 water/ dust protection
- Records video up to 4K@$60fps quality
- Comes with Snapdragon 845 processor
- Has NFC, fingerprint reader & Iris scanner
- It offers 128GB built-in memory, 6GB of RAM
- It’s carrier unlocked phone
- Works with up to 4G LTE
- Has a 2.8” colored display
- Uses Snapdragon 210 processor
- Has WiFi & Bluetooth connectivity
- Supports up to 32GB MicroSD card
- It’s M4/ T4 hearing aid compatible
- It’s a branded Patriot Mobile phone
- Has a 6.1” True Tone HDR display
- Uses Apple A15 Bionic processor
- Supports both 5G & 4G LTE networks
- Features IP68 dust & water protection
- Include built-in NFC & Face ID sensors
- It has 128GB built-in storage, 4GB RAM
- It’s a pre-unlocked phone
- Has 6.2” OLED 60Hz display
- Uses Snapdragon 765G processor
- Supports 5G & 4G LTE connections
- Has built-in 128GB memory, 6GB RAM
- Records videos up to 4K@60fps quality
- It has a built-in NFC & fingerprint sensor
- It’s factory unlocked phone
- Works with 4G LTE only
- Features 6.5” HD+ display
- Has Snapdragon 710 processor
- Records videos up to 4K@30fps
- Doesn’t have built-in NFC technology
- It has 64GB built-in storage, 4GB RAM
- It’s Factory-unlocked
- Has 6.5” HD display
- Includes a dual-SIM card slot
- Doesn’t have NFC technology
- Captures videos up to 1080p@30fps
- Uses Hisilicon Kirin 710F Processor
- Has rear-mounted Fingerprint reader
- It has built-in 128GB storage & 4GB RAM
- It’s a carrier -unlocked phone
- Features a 6.0” QHD+ display
- Uses Snapdragon 845 processor
- Supports up to 4G LTE networks
- Has IP68 dust & water protection
- Include built-in NFC technology
- It can use up to 1TB MicroSD card
- It’s factory unlocked phone
- Has a 5.4” HDR10 display
- Has IP68 water & dust protection
- Uses Apple A14 Bionic processor
- Supports 5G & 4G LTE networks
- Includes NFC & Face ID sensors
- It records videos up to 4K@60fps quality
- It’s a pre-unlocked phone
- Has a 5.8” HDR10 display
- Uses Apple A13 Bionic processor
- Features IP68 water & dust protection
- Includes built-in NFC & Face ID sensors
- Captures videos up to 4K@60fps quality
- It has 64GB built-in storage & 4GB RAM
Although there are others, these are some of the phone brands that will work with Patriot Mobile. You can either purchase your device from a third-party retailer and bring it to the network or support the MVNO through their retail selections.
Even so, Patriot Mobile phones are relatively expensive compared to other carriers, including T-Mobile. Then, it has a limited catalog, both for smartphones and basic phones. So, it might be more worthwhile to bring your device from elsewhere, considering it’s compatible with GSM channels and T-Mobile frequency bands.